We are delighted to announce that our graduate residents for 2018-19 are Helen Kilby Nelson and Adam Neal.
Our mission is to provide each graduate resident with a quality experience and an opportunity to further their work as an artist. Through this we aim to encourage graduate artists to continue to work in the city and to contribute towards the critical mass of quality visual arts produced in the city and for the city. The residency is funded by Coventry Artspace Partnerships who receive a core grant from Coventry City Council and also raise funds from renting affordable studio, meeting and exhibition spaces to artists and cultural organisations. We are currently based at Eaton House, Coventry CV1 2FJ.
Each graduate is assigned a mentor and receive a number of studio visits from our associates and partners. They will receive up to 12 months free studio space as well as ongoing professional development support, mentoring and guidance from professional artists, and an end-of-residency solo exhibition. This opportunity is intended to help support recent graduates bridge the gap between full-time education and a career in the arts.
What we offer
- Shared studio space including wifi and utilities at Eaton House, Coventry for up to 12 months
- Use of our gallery space for a 2 week end of residency solo exhibition
- Technician support for the installation of the exhibition
- Social media marketing support
- Support meetings every 2 months
- Financial support to visit at least 1 other cultural event/institution/exhibition
- Free or subsidised places on any courses run by Coventry Artspace during the period of the residency.
Who can apply
- Artists must have graduated from a UK BA in Fine Art or related course on or after Summer 2017
- Due to the nature of our current studio spaces artists should be able to work ‘clean’.
- Artists must be able to complete the residency by 14 September 2019.
- Artists must be able to commit to using their studio space regularly and for a minimum average of 12 hours a week.
To apply please submit in a single PDF containing
- Confirmation of your course and university and the year you graduated
- A proposal for your residency at Coventry Artspace, including how you would approach the residency in terms of research and development towards your solo show (max 1000 words)
- An artist statement and details about your current work – please state when you graduated and from which institution (max 300 words)
- Weblinks and up to 5 images relevant to your current practice
- An assessment of why you are right for this opportunity
Proposals should be in a single PDF and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “graduate residency” in the subject line by 5pm, Sunday, June 24th, 2018. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to Coventry Artspace to present their proposals in person in the week beginning 9th July, 2018.
Please do get in touch with any questions, or for more information come along to our drop-in at Eaton House 1st June, or our networking meeting on 5th June. To find out more about Artspace, these or other events, visit our website www.coventry-artspace.co.uk, or follow us on Facebook Twitter or Instagram: @CovArtspace.